Fleas and ticks cause a lot of discomfort in canines making them scratch themselves. They also affect the appearance of the dog: hair begins to fall out, bald spots and sores appear. For the owners, it is also a pain since any person worries about the pet and wants him to be healthy and beautiful.
It is a common situation that you have just cured the dog of fleas, and now as if out of nowhere, they have appeared again! What to do if you are already tired of getting rid of parasites every time?
The problem is that any animal that often contacts other pets on walks is susceptible to parasites. They are transmitted very quickly. Besides, a dog can get infested not only through direct contact with a flea animal but also simply by being in the place where a pet with parasites has recently passed. Therefore, there is no cure once and for all.
So you need to take care of reliable prevention. Choose a good dog flea collar and forget about the problem of parasites!
Top 5 Best Flea Collars for Dogs
SOBAKEN Natural and Hypoallergenic Collar for Dogs
This is really the best flea and tick collar for dogs as it is absolutely safe and gentle for your pet while being ruthless for parasitic insects. Here are the main characteristics of this leading product:
- Naturality. The item repels parasites due to the spearmint, clove, and citronella oils.
- Safety. This flea and tick collar for dogs is absolutely free of harmful toxic chemicals. Both active and additional ingredients are absolutely safe for canines and humans of all ages.
- Universality. Can be used by pets of any breed as the size is adjustable and fits for any neck circumference. Also, this product is appropriate both for adult canines and puppies (from 12 weeks).
- Effectiveness. Though the components are not harsh chemicals, they are still very powerful against a wide range of pests. It scares off fleas (including larvae), ticks, chewing lice, sarcoptic mange.
- Water-resistance. No limits for your pet. It can spend time actively under rain, swim and bathe with pleasure. And you may not worry about the effectiveness of this flea and tick collar for dogs. It won’t decrease because of the item getting wet.
- Lasting protection. Just put this product on your dog and forget about pests for 8 months!
Adams Flea & Tick Dog Control Collar
This is the most optimal value for money. Having an affordable price, this product combines the following features:
- Guaranteed getting rid of pests. Active agents quickly and evenly spread over the pet’s coat, killing parasites even in places far from the collar, such as the hind legs.
- Killing both fleas and ticks. Though ticks are harder to kill and repel you don’t need to buy specific dog tick collars. You can get double protection in one product with this item!
- Getting rid of flea eggs and larvae. While the majority of competitors scare off only adult fleas, this collar also kills eggs and larvae helping to get rid of pests finally and irrevocably.
- Fitting dogs of any size. The length of the item is easily adjustable, so the product fits any breed.
- Appropriate for puppies. You can use this collar since your dog turns 12 weeks.
- Waterproof. Wearing such flea collars, dogs are not limited in swimming or bathing. The item doesn’t lose its anti-pests properties once getting wet.
Seresto Flea & Tick Prevention Collar
Best flea collar for large dogs
We can surely mark this item as the best flea collar for dogs of large breeds due to the following characteristics:
- Safe formula. The compound has been researched and approved by veterinarians.
- Powerful and fast action. A perfect combination of two strong anti-pests components (flumethrin and imidacloprid) helps to get rid of fleas (including larvae), ticks, chewing lice, and sarcoptic mange reliably and quickly. The item starts to kill fleas within a day and night since being applied. Ticks begin to die within two days.
- Even covering. The substance perfectly spreads throughout the pet’s coat not leaving empty spots even if the body is really large. So, antiparasitic treatment will be held on every corner of the body including the parts maximally distant from the collar.
- Water-resistance. Wearing this flea collar, dog is allowed to swim or bathe as much as he wishes.
- Absence of odor. Bad smell is a common problem of the competitors while this item is completely neutral. So, it won’t cause any discomfort to you and your family members and won’t make you air the home over and over again.
- Non-greasiness. Active components don’t have greasy consistency. So, the coat of your pet won’t become oilily bleached as if you haven’t bathed a dog for weeks.
Seresto Flea & Tick Prevention Collar for Dogs
Best flea collar for small dogs
Miniature pets need especially gentle protection from pests. So let us introduce to you the best flea collar for small dogs created especially for pets under 18 lbs! Here are the main advantages of it:
- Perfect dosage. The item contains the concentration of pesticides that is appropriate for small dogs.
- Long-term activeness. Protects your fluffy companion from nasty parasites for 8 months!
- Quick action. Fleas will begin to die within a day and night since you’ve put the item on your dog. And ticks will no longer keep on living on your pet within two days since applying the product. Due to such fast results, this item is worth the title of the best tick collar for dogs.
- Waterproofness. Don’t worry that a pet can spoil the item by playing in the water. It doesn’t decrease the effectiveness of this product.
ELLATAIR Natural Collar for Dogs
Best natural flea collar for dogs
Are you especially worried about the safety of your pet’s health? Then meet the best natural flea collar for dogs. It is appropriate for pets of any health status and age. Here are more details on this item:
- Safe agents. It contains only essential oils without any toxic chemicals.
- Extended protection from pests. Helps to get rid of fleas (including larvae), ticks, sarcoptic mange, and chewing lice. One solution for all the range of the most common parasites!
- Durable activeness. Apply this item on your pet, and it won’t be bothered by pests for 8 months!
- Water-resistance. Feel free to bathe your cuddly buddy or let him swim without a fear that the collar stops working.
- Universal size. It is easily adjustable, so you can use the product regardless of the breed of your dog.
Features to consider when buying dog flea and ticks collars
To choose the most appropriate solution pay attention to such parameters:
- Compound. Give preference to the natural remedies in the following cases: especially thorough care about your fluffy friend’s health, very young or old age of a dog, chronic illnesses in your pet, the presence of little children at home who contact a pup every day. And choose the ones with more powerful chemical agents if your dog has the advanced stage of a flea infestation, and there are many insects to fight with.
- The durability of protection. The longer it is the better. This means you won’t have to buy a new item every month. Just apply one collar and don’t be afraid of pests for 6-12 months!
- The spectrum of activeness. It’s better to protect your pet from all common parasites at once. So, the collars that kill both fleas and ticks are preferable. Also, pay attention to whether the item is active against eggs and larvae, or else it will be more difficult to get rid of fleas completely.
- Age recommendations. Read the manufacturer’s note about the minimum age and weight of a puppy that is allowed to wear a certain collar. Usually, this is 3 months, but there are some items that are not appropriate for puppies at all. So don’t forget to clarify this information.
Guide (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do flea collars for dogs really work?
Numerous dog flea collar reviews from satisfied pet owners prove that these products are a really effective solution against parasites.
You may wonder how dog flea collars work. Everything is easy. The product has a porous structure. Inside, it contains substances that kill or scare off parasites. Canines have a high body temperature. Therefore, a flea dog collar heats up being worn by a pet. The pores in the material expand, and the anti-flea and tick agent comes out and spreads over the coat. This creates reliable protection from parasites.
What is the most effective flea&tick collar for dogs?
If you are looking for the most efficient product choose any item from our top 5, and you won’t be mistaken!
How long should my dog wear a flea collar?
The life cycle of a flea lasts about one month. So, to kill all the insects your dog already has you need at least 30 days. And then, in order to prevent the repeated infestation use the collar as a preventive measure as long as possible. Usually, pests are the most active during the warm season. So, the collars are highly recommended at that period of time.
Do flea collars make dogs sick?
Some scientists believe that harsh anti-flea substances can accumulate in the dog’s body over time. This may cause various diseases of the internal organs. But this can be avoided by sticking to the following rules for the use of flea collars:
- Don’t use them permanently. For example, the risk of a flea infestation is significantly lower during the cold season. Ticks are not active in winter at all. So, you can use preventive measures only during a warm season.
- Choose the items that meet safety standards or are based on the natural components.
One more peculiarity we can’t forget to mention is that even the best dog flea collar may provoke skin irritation in a canine in case of individual intolerance. If such a situation occurs take off the collar and bathe a pet with dog shampoo and an increased amount of water.
NB: Consult a vet before using a flea and tick collar as there may be some contraindications!
Do flea collars work if dogs already have fleas?
Yes, they do. They are active against all fleas, even those that are already on the animal.
But, unfortunately, not all collars are effective against eggs and larvae of parasites. So, they can remain on the body of the animal. And then when you stop using the prevention measure, fleas will appear again. So, choose the collars that are active against eggs and larvae.
Also, note that eggs and larvae of parasites can be found in surrounding objects: for example, a dog’s sleeping place, blanket, carpet, etc. So in order to get rid of fleas completely, these pieces of the environment also need to be treated with special remedies or changed.
Besides, don’t be confused if you start finding more fleas on the surface of your dog’s fur within a few days after applying the collar. These are dead insects that were previously in the thickness of the coat close to the body, but now are falling out.
Are flea collars dangerous?
As these products contain agents that kill insects you may wonder whether they may be harmful to you or your pet. So, are flea collars safe for dogs and humans?
It depends on the compound. Some items are natural, containing plant essential oils, while others are active thanks to the chemical anti-pests substances.
The first ones are completely safe. The only danger is the allergic reaction if you or your pet have got individual intolerance of the plants contained in the remedy. But such cases are quite rare.
Talking about chemical pesticides, they are certainly not fatal to dogs and humans. The ones contained in the high-quality items are approved by vets. But when it comes to cheap flea collars for dogs that are not certified, the situation can be worse. Bad-quality items usually contain more aggressive agents that are more potentially dangerous to health. Therefore, when choosing, pay attention to whether the product meets safety standards and if it is approved by vets.
Better yet, opt for items with natural ingredients. They are absolutely safe for your and the dog’s health.
Can you touch a flea collar?
Touching it is not very dangerous. But it is recommended to wash your hands thoroughly after this.
Also, you need to wash your hands every time after cuddling your pet because its coat will be covered with the anti-parasite agent released from the collar.
Other Dog Fleas and Ticks Collars
SALVO Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
The item is worth your attention as it is:
- Certified. So, you may not worry about the health of your pet.
- Safe for puppies. It is allowed to apply this product for canines from 3 months that weigh 4 lbs and more.
- Fastens securely. The collar won’t fall off even the most active pup thanks to a triple locking clasp.
- Waterproof. The product doesn’t lose its properties after getting wet.
- All-year-round prophylaxis. The item is sold in packs of two. Each of them lasts for 6 months. So, the pack is enough for use for the entire year!
Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea & Tick Collar
This item is, without exaggeration, the most convenient one, because it:
- Smells nice. There is no common for anti-pests collars problem of disgusting odor. Vice versa, this item smells fresh! So, comfort and calmness are provided for pets and their owners.
- Resists water. Playing under the rain, regular bathing, and pleasant swimming won’t disappear from your dog’s life since he starts wearing this collar.
- Reflects light. This item not only protects your fellow from pests but also ensures its security on the dark streets. There is a shining strip that reflects light and is visible from a distance of up to 300 feet.
Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Dog Collar
This is a wonderful option for those who are wary of chemical pesticides. This natural item:
- Is absolutely free of toxic or irritating substances.
- Helps to get rid of pests without worrying about your or your pet’s health.
- Scares off parasites due to quantum mechanisms.
- Has been proven to be effective throughout 15 years of scientists’ and vets’ research.
Adams Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs & Puppies
This is a great solution for advanced insects protection:
- Two courses of pests prevention in one pack. The product is sold in a set of two. Each of them is effective for half a year. So, you may provide all-year-round insect prevention for your pet!
- Extended defense. This collar not only repels fleas and ticks as many other items do but also scares off mosquitos!.
- Water-resistance. Reliable protection is ensured in spite of getting wet.
Petsmont Flea Collar for Dogs
This is the option of your choice if you want to ensure your pet with effective, ultra-safe, and extra-gentle protection from parasites. The product is appreciated by thousands of purchasers because it is:
- Safe. Absolutely free of harmful or irritating substances. Contains only essential oils.
- Powerful. A great combination of seven oils (geranium, rosemary, peppermint, citronella, cedarwood, spearmint, and lemongrass) ensures reliable protection from obnoxious parasites.
- Comfortable. Rounded corners help to avoid the discomfort related to the constant wearing of the collar.
- Universal. The size is easily regulated for dogs of any breed or age.
- Extremely durable. The effect lasts for a year!